Striving for Purity in a Sexual Culture
Being a single woman in God
It has been nine short years since I committed my life completely over to God. I have counted the cost in every area and made a vow to be married to Christ for the rest of my life. On the day I got baptized, I wore all white clothing, signifying a bride. It meant that my commitment was going to be forged for the rest of my life, and I took my vow more solemnly than any earthly vow that I have made.
When a man (or woman) makes a vow to the Lord or takes on oath to obligate himself by a pledge, he must not break his word but must do everything he said. (Numbers 30:2 )
There are times in the Lord when it’s hard being a single woman.
We are, I know I am, bombarded with peer pressure - anything from television shows, movies, songs, books, magazines, and junk emails. Personally, for me, the strongest struggles are from co-workers, friends and physical/spiritual family who sometimes look at us with such pity in their eyes, or say something like, “You are so pretty. You’re getting older. Or what are you waiting for?” Then of course, you have your own insecurities. My response can vary based on the day, the situation or even the person. I have certainly had harsh responses. I have ignored the person, as well as giving the more spiritual response, “I am waiting on the Lord to bless me.”
Below I have listed some scriptures that help me at different times. By no means am I an expert at this, but I have learned a lot about myself and how God sees me as single woman.
Another must read is Shelia Jones’ “Single Women & Sexuality.”
Sheila Jones tells single women, "God created you to be a woman, to be a sexual being, and he said, 'It is good!' And you can be 'at peace' with your sexuality."
• God is very specific about how we should think of our body. “Everything is permissible for me but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible for me”- but I will not be mastered by anything.” Food for the stomach and the stomach for food”- but God will destroy them both. The body is not meant for sexual immorality, but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body. By his power God raised the Lord from the dead, and he will raise us also. Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ himself? Shall I then take the members of Christ Himself? Shall I then take the members of Christ and unite them with a prostitute? Never! Do you not know that he who unites himself with a prostitute is one with her in body? For it is said, “The two will become one flesh.” But he who unites himself with the Lord is one with him in spirit. Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a man commits are outside his body. Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.” (1Cor 6:12-20)
• I have learned that clinging to what is good helps me to stay focused. “Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one anther above yourselves.” (Romans 12:9-10 or Psalm 63:8 )
• Staying with the brotherhood or sisterhood of believers in fellowship daily is essential - i. e. phone calls, hang outs, or even going on dates. “We sent Timothy, who is our brother and God’s fellow worker in spreading the gospel of Christ to strengthen and encourage you in your faith, so that no one would be unsettled by these trials. You know quite well that we were destined for them.” (1 Thessalonians 3:2-3 )
• Confessing what your struggles are helps in so many ways.
I compare it to carrying a heavy piece of luggage, and you really
need to have someone else to help you carry it. “Therefore confess
your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed.
The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective” (James 5:16 ).
• Remember that you & I will fall, but also find comfort in God’s grace - (Vs:3-4) Who forgives all your sins & heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit & crowns you with love and compassion (vs:12). As far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us. (Psalm103) For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God (Romans 3:23 ).
Does any of this pertain to you at this moment? Maybe you need more answers? How are you doing in this area of your spiritual walk?
There is so much more in this area God wants us to learn. So please do your own extensive study to see what God has to say to you….
FROM WILL WALTER . . .
To sign up to receive short, daily email devotionals, go to the church website www.hartfordchurch.org, scroll down on the left hand side and follow the directions to subscribe.
To enroll for the 8-week, online Bible course - go to the website www.ghoconlinebibleschool.com. The beginner and advanced week 1 assignment will be posted before Thursday.